Story Massage combines the benefits of positive, nurturing touch with the fun and creativity of storytelling.
You'll learn ten really simple massage stroke that can be used in many different situations, on all ages of children and adults too.
It is a fun activity that can be enjoyed anywhere, anytime, with anyone!
Massage oil is not normally used so no clothes are removed, movements and stories can be easily adapted to suit the individual needs of children of varying ages, abilities, personalities and temperaments.
Story Massage is now available at Kidzplay for active babies from about 7 months old and up.
Story Massage can be shared in different ways:
Peer massage activity between children. Examples of this might be in a school, playgroup or community setting such as a Brownie group, relaxation class, or in the family home with siblings and friends.
One-to-one activity between an adult and child. Examples of this might be in the family home with parents and grandparents, in a special school, a mother and toddler group, therapy sessions, or a children’s hospice.
The best bit for me is the oxytocin effect. The positive impact of the ‘feel-good’ hormone, oxytocin, is now a key factor in research into the physical, emotional, social and educational benefits of positive touch. It blasts away those winter blues, lifts your mood, gives you a real sense of well-being.
Oxytocin is produced by the hypothalamus and released by the pituitary gland. Within 40 seconds of nurturing touch, the hormone is released into the bodies of those giving as well as those receiving gentle touch. So everyone gets the benefit!
Research by the Touch Research Institute in Miami shows that oxytocin has a positive effect on reducing anxiety and aggression, and promoting relaxation, well-being and attentiveness.
Research also shows that it helps with bonding and developing trust and social interaction with others so it is central to understanding the benefits of Story Massage.
"Oxytocin has the ability to lower blood pressure and heart rate, reduce the level of stress hormones, increase tolerance of pain, and promote learning and a feeling of calm."
Kerstin Moberg, author of The Oxytocin Factor, Tapping the Hormone of Calm, Love and Healing
Benefits of Story Massage – physical
Story Massage can help:
· Relax the body, easing tension and the cumulative effects of stress. Story Massage offers children the chance to learn the essential life-skill of conscious relaxation.
· Release of ‘feel-good’ hormones including oxytocin, which help to boost general well-being.
· Improve sleep by encouraging children to relax and switch off from the day.
Benefits of Story Massage – emotional
Story Massage can help:
· Increase self-confidence, self-awareness and self-esteem.
· Enhance a child’s awareness of being valued, and bring a sense of self-worth.
· Regulate emotions by encouraging children to learn to process their emotions and react to situations in a calmer way.
· Build trust and encourage the release of any concerns and a chance for children to share confidences in a calm, comforting atmosphere.
· Act as a distraction from any worries, doubts or pain.
· Provide an opportunity for children to look at daily pressures and challenges in a more positive frame of mind.
Benefits of Story Massage – social
Story Massage can help:
· Reduce aggressive and hyperactive behavior. Children feel calmer and less anxious after sharing Story Massage and this reflects in their behavior at home or school.
· Increase sensitivity towards others. Children become more aware of how their own actions and emotions can influence others.
· Build friendships and encourage bonding with others in a fun and interactive way. The shared experience of Story Massage can have a positive impact on relationships with other children and also parents, grandparents and caregivers.
· Prepare children for future events or activities – a combination of positive touch with a social story can help children feel more prepared for a difficult transition, such as going to a new class, or an event such as going to the dentist.
Benefits of Story Massage – educational
Story Massage can:
· Help children to focus their minds so they are ready for learning.
· Improve concentration and engagement – sharing a massage story can help children to fully engage in the activity.
· Promote the development of imagination, creativity and expressive language – children love creating their own massage stories to share with others.
· Add a kinaesthetic extension to learning. Story Massage can be used as a curriculum-based activity to learn key concepts, words and dates.
· Improve communication – both verbal and non-verbal.
Want to attend my next 5 week class, simply book online or give me a call on 07958578464.